Recently I listened to an interview with Dita Von Teese where she stated how glamour should not always be equated with being expensive. She stated, “Isn’t running a bath, adding some rose petals, and having a cup of strawberries next to you glamorous? That doesn’t cost much at all.” That is exactly the mindset that I was raised to have and frankly, it’s a good one to have, I’m very lucky that my mother instilled that value in me. You should not hinder your creativity with cost; as they say, “When there is a will, there is a way.” Investing in a glamorous dressing table is part of a lifestyle attitude in my opinion and I am happy to share some of my ideas here.
Have you ever thought about creating a vintage-inspired vanity but aren’t quite sure where to start? Retro style is my favorite style and I think it’s the most timeless style, too. The beauty looks out of the 1940s and 50s are my all-time favorite. Creating a vintage dressing table is a fun project and it’s a gorgeous creation when complete. I’ve curated a few of my favorite products that are perfect for display on a vanity table and are lovely to use!
Almost all of these items are available on Amazon and are not antiques; though, if you have the time and know a lovely antique store in your neighborhood, take a look around and see what strikes your fancy – antique stores are so wonderful. Your vanity table can be found at IKEA: they have a great one here. You can also find dressing tables at antique stores for a more vintage look! All of these items are affordable and ultra-glamorous and they are sure to make you feel like a silver screen siren out of the 1940s.
- Mirrored Art Deco Inspired Butterfly Box available on Amazon
- Vintage Inspired Handheld Mirror and Comb available on Amazon
- Pink Ostrich Feathers available on Amazon
- Vintage Inspired Makeup Organizer available on Amazon
- VENUS ET FLEUR Le Mini Round
- Dita Von Teese Gilded Rose Glamour Girl Vase
- Bésame Cosmetics Waterfall Mist Fragrance
- Rose hairpiece available on Amazon
Skincare & Makeup
- Estee Lauder crocodile print compact
- Benefit Cosmetics Bathina body oil on Amazon
- Frederick’s of Hollywood Seductive Shimmering Spray on Amazon
- Bésame Cosmetics Blushing Rose hand cream
- Bésame Cosmetics crimson cream rouge
- Bésame Cosmetics Victory Red lipstick
- Bésame Cosmetics Mickey Mouse red lipstick
- Rosebud Strawberry lip balm tin on Amazon
- Makeup & powder sponges available on Amazon
Total cost of decorations and products = ~$400
Total cost of products w/ dressing table from IKEA = ~$700
Voila! You have an ultra-glamorous DIY vintage inspired dressing table that you can enjoy every day.